Vegetables and Fruit are an excellent source of carbohydrates and aid in disease prevention.
Benefits of Eating More Fruits & Veggies
- Vegetables and fruits are an important part of a healthy diet, and variety is as important as quantity.
- No single fruit or vegetable provides all of the nutrients you need to be healthy. Eat plenty everyday
- A diet rich in vegetables and fruits can lower blood pressure
- Reduce risk of heart disease and stroke
- Prevent some types of cancer
- Lower risk of eye and digestive problems
- Have a positive effect upon blood sugar which can help keep appetite in check.
Eat a variety of types and colors of produce in order to give your body the mix of nutrients it needs. Try dark leafy greens; brightly colored red, yellow and orange vegetables and fruits; and cooked tomatoes.
Tips For Eating More Fruits & Veggies
- 1. Keep fruit where you can see it – you’ll be more likely to eat it.
- 2. Explore the produce aisle and choose something new – Variety is the key to a healthy diet.
- 3. Skip the potatoes – Choose other vegetables that are packed with more nutrients and more slowly digested carbohydrates.
- 4. Make it a meal – Try cooking new recipes that include more vegetables. Salads and stir fries are two ideas for getting tasty vegetables on your plate.