For many families, the decision to hire in-home help for their senior loved one is the best decision for that point in time. The greatest benefit of in-home help is that seniors can remain in their home and maintain their independence.
Having to uproot your loved one, clean out their home and either rent it out or put it on the market may be something that neither you nor your loved one is ready for. In-home care may be the helpful solution that everyone in the family can benefit from.
If you’re like many families, you may not be sure what to expect from an in-home senior care service. What types of services are offered? Will your loved one be well cared for? While in-home care agencies vary from one another, they all share one thing in common: they provide senior care in the comfort and privacy of the home.
Below is a list of typical services provided by in-home care agencies. While you may not need all of these services now, it’s nice to know that your loved one’s care plan can be modified as necessary.
- Meaningful conversation and interaction to decrease social isolation and enhance health, happiness and quality of life.
- Light Housekeeping. Help with chores around the home such as vacuuming, sweeping, dusting, taking out the trash and washing, drying, ironing and putting away laundry.
- Personal Needs. Help with bathing, getting dressed, buttoning and zipping clothes, tying shoes and putting on socks. Can also assist with grooming needs such as getting nails polished, putting on makeup and brushing hair.
- Picking up prescriptions, groceries or running to the post office with or without the senior.
- Meal Preparation. Assistance with choosing and preparing meals that are well balanced.
- Medication Reminders. Reminders for taking medication on time as well as assistance reading labels and opening medicine bottles. Medication can also be administered by skilled nurses.
- Respite Care. Relieve family caregivers so that they have time to run errands, meet with friends or get rest.
- Transitioning Programs. Help with transitioning into a senior living community or returning home from the hospital.
- Alzheimer’s Care. Around-the-clock care designed for seniors with memory impairment.
At Family Private Care, we offer convenient service packages. This makes it easy to get comprehensive care for your loved one while having options to modify their care plan over time. For instance, if you choose our personal care services, a home health aide or certified nursing assistant will provide companionship services in addition to personal care needs.
The caregivers we refer are fully qualified to meet your loved one’s needs whether they have a chronic health condition or cognitive impairment. Caregivers include home health aides, certified nursing assistants and home health nurses (LPNs or RNs). This allows aging adults to benefit from a large continuum of care.